Here’s what I’ve been reading on the interwebs:
- Gus, the Central Park Zoo’s polar bear, died on Tuesday! I cannot tell you how much joy he brought to every first and second grader I ever took on a field trip to the zoo. I’m truly bummed 😦 (via Gothamist)
- Two thoughtful pieces on the racial implications of Miley Cyrus’ VMA performance. (via Networked Blogs and NYMag’s Vulture)
- Fun fact: many of our ancestors used to sleep twice a night (via Slumberwise)
- Walk, don’t run! Minimal movement exercise? Sign me up! (via Into the Gloss)
- Mind the gender gap! VIDA and The New York Review of Books go toe to toe on the alarmingly low number of female authors and reviewers featured. And Book Riot responds. (via The Village Voice and Book Riot)
- Also, if you haven’t had a chance to watch Mia Micheals’ opening piece from last week’s So You Think You Can Dance, watch it NOW! It was phenomenal, as was Travis Wall’s contemporary piece w/ my current favorite, Amy Yakima. That girl is MAGIC.
- Business Insider has a fascinating map detailing the top porn search terms by state. (sidebar: what the eff is “creampie”???? RHETORICAL QUESTION!!! PLEASE DO NOT EXPLAIN IT TO ME IN THE COMMENTS!!!) (via Business Insider)